5 Star Saddle Pads are the original Western contour saddle pads with “a true French curve back line and withers slope.” During the development process, 5 Star saddle pads paid special attention to wither height, back line variance and hip placement. As a result, a contour was specifically designed to fit the back contour of most horse breeds in today’s riding world.
Why 5 Star Saddle Pads use wool felt.
5 Star Saddle Pads
use 100% virgin pressed wool felt, which is 40% more virgin wool than any other wool felt pad on the market. The unique structure of wool fiber allows it to be pressed together with heat and steam to form a dense mat of flexible, resilient and elastic fiber called felt. 5 Star saddle pads use felt because this all-natural material has kinetic properties which enable it to absorb moisture and wick it to drier areas. Wool felt offers four times greater wicking ability than synthetic pads and wicking assists in heat removal. Additionally, research has shown that wool felt saddle pads, like those made by 5 Star, provide the best compression protection. In fact, wool felt offers three times the compression protection than synthetic neoprene pads. 5 Star Wool Felt pads will give you 2000+ hours of maximum riding protection. However, please remember that no saddle pad can ever completely compensate for improper saddle fit.
Because no additional saddle pad or blanket is necessary, Five Star Saddle Pads can improve saddle fit. Double padding often creates movement and slippage, which is usually compensated for by overcinching. The contoured fit of the 5 Star saddle pad means limited need for cinching with minimal saddle movement.
No breaking in!
5 Star Saddle Pads
are specifically contoured for a horse’s or mule’s back. A cut out (2½” x 5”) at the wither provides gullet relief and cooling. 5 Star saddle pads are constructed with a leather spine and wear leathers. We stock most of our saddle pads in the 7/8” thickness, as we've found it is the best all-around thickness and density, recommended for trail riding, team penning, cutting, reining and barrel racing.
Many Styles and Colors.
We offer several styles of 5 Star Saddle Pads, each in four colors: natural (grey), black, cinnamon brown and dark brown.
- The standard 5 Star Horse Saddle Pad measures 30” x 30” and is available round or square skirted with a contour for horses or mules with good withers.
- The standard Five Star Mule Saddle Pad measures 30” x 30” and is available round or square skirted with a flatter contour for mules or "mutton withered" horses.
- The 5 Star Full Skirt Horse Saddle Pad measures 32” x 32”, is contoured for horses and mules with good withers, available with a square skirt.
- The Five Star Full Skirt Mule Saddle Pad measures 32” x 32”, is contoured for mules and "mutton withered" horses, available with a square skirt.
- The “DL” Horse Saddle Pad measures 30”W x 32” L and is designed with a close contact cut to reduce bulk under the rider’s leg and improve communication with the horse. Highly recommended for saddles with a cut-out, close contact skirt.
- The 5 Star Trail/Endurance Round Skirt, Contoured Wool Pad measures 28" L x 35"W, and is designed to fit under the Tucker Endurance Trail saddles and other similarly shaped trail saddles with a minimal round skirt and dropped rigging.
5 Star Trail/Endurance Square Skirt Contoured Wool Pad measures 28" L x 33"W, and is designed to fit under the Tucker High Plains saddle and other similarly shaped trail saddles with dropped rigging.
- The 5 Star Mountain Packer Pad measures 43” x 33½”, and can be ordered with a high or a low withered contour. The pack pad offers the same gullet cooling, leather spine and wear leathers as the 5 Star saddle pads but is a full 1-1/8" thick to protect stock from heavy pack loads.
Would you like more information?
5 Star Saddle Pads: Proper Care and Use
Russ On... Choosing a Pack Pad